Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day...

This Mother's Day seems to be particularly poignant for me. Over the last year, both my mom and Steve's mom have struggled with health issues. As we have prayed for them over the last year, it has allowed me to meditate on the amazing women that they are. I couldn't be more thankful for both of them.

Being a mother of three children has given me an appreciation for my own mother who successfully raised and fledged three children of her own. Even my father (who is fabulous in his own right) will admit that the bulk of the child-raising was done by my mom... particularly in the early years. My mother gave up a lot for her children. She planned her career around being a mom. She was completely self-sacrificial and spent many late nights folding laundry or sewing Halloween costumes or making cupcakes for school. Instead of giving us everything our hearts desired, she taught us to get it for ourselves. And because of it, she has three daughters who are happily married, educated and truly satisfied with life. Mom... I love you and I truly appreciate all you have done for me, Michelle and Tricia. You were the best mother I could have wanted, and I can only hope that I do as good of a job with my own kids.


And if having an awesome mother isn't enough, I landed an awesome mother-in-law. Seriously... she puts all other mother-in-laws to shame. Now granted, I wasn't around when she raised Steve and Christie, but I know that she gave up everything for them. And they both turned out to be kind, self-sacrificial, God-loving and responsible people just like their mother. Thank you, Shirley, for giving everything in your being to raise this amazing man who I'm am blessed to call my husband. I will try everything I can to love Steve as well as you did (and do).


Being a mother can be a challenge some days, but I'm am so blessed that I have two amazing role models in my life. Happy Mother's Day Mom and Shirley. I love you both!

No comments: