
When I asked Molly a couple of days ago who we celebrate on Mother's Day, she quickly replied, "Molly!" I suppose it's true considering she initially made me a mother! For me, this Mother's Day has been an pivotal one. Since the twins have been born, I have been consumed by motherhood. And although Mother's Day is typically about appreciating moms for what they have done for us, for me it's more about celebrating motherhood and how it has challenged me to grow as a person. Because God has definitely used my children to refine me.
I have learned patience. There's nothing like trying to be somewhere on time and having to be patient with a toddler who insists on putting on her clothes, shoes and jacket all by herself. And God forbid if I try to rush the process to get out the door!
I have learned prioritization. I have learned that spending quality time with each child is really hard, but that it has to be a priority over clean kitchen floors or an empty dishwasher. It's not enough that I love them abundantly... they need to KNOW that I love them abundantly.
I have learned the breadth of God's love. I love these children fiercely, and it is humbling to me to think that God loves me even more than I can love my own children... to the point that He sacrificed His own life here on earth.
But ironically, I still have SO much to learn. I'm trying to learn how to teach my children to love themselves well, by modeling that behavior in my own life. And I'm trying to learn to prioritize time for myself and for God. I'm sure raising three teenagers will teach me a lesson or two. And hopefully when it's all said and done, I'll be proud of the three children we have raised and thankful for how they have refined me into a better person.
1 comment:
Happy Mother's Day Friend! Thanks for sharing your day with my family and thanks for taking pictures of me and my girls for Mother's Day and also today at the dedication!
Post a Comment