Much of my week has been helping out at classroom Halloween parties (or Harvest Parties if you feel like being politically correct... which I don't). It was really fun to be able to go and help out and see my kids in their environment with their friends. The first party was at Garrett and Paige's preschool. Garrett got on his fruit bat costume and Paige was a pink butterfly. Garrett was VERY specific that he was a fruit bat because he didn't eat bugs or blood. Their party consisted of trick-or-treating at the various staff offices, decorating cookies, playing games and hearing stories. All this went on while the teachers and parents were desperately trying to make sure they didn't get TOO sugared up. I don't think we were very successful.
After my children begged me to dress up this Halloween, I found a fabulous "queen" dress at Goodwill for a whooping $10. I threw on some costume jewellery left over from my wedding... and viola! I was the queen I always knew I was meant to be!
The next day it was off to Molly's Halloween party. The twins had to come with me, which I was a little concerned about. But they did a FABULOUS job helping me with the craft and participating in the various stations themselves.
Molly wore her peacock costume and we both loved seeing all her friends' outfits! I continue to be SO impressed with the children in her class and found them all to be such nice, kind kids with great manners. Obviously that's a reflection of their wonderful and involved parents... and considering there were SEVENTEEN parents that showed up to help with the party, it's obvious how involved those parents are!
After the party, they had a costume parade. This was SO much fun, as they piped dance music through the entire school and the kids danced through the various classes while the parents watched from the rails around the compound. I heard from several parents that the parade and allowing the kids to wear their costumes was almost cancelled this year on behalf of being "politically correct". I'm so glad they didn't cancel it because it was obvious the children sincerely enjoyed themselves... even the ones that didn't dress up!





No comments:
Post a Comment