Saturday, May 5, 2012

Backyard Camping

Last weekend, we bought a new "family sized" tent for camping.  We have a couple of camping trips planned for this summer and were extremely excited to finally feel like our kids are old enough to enjoy camping... something Steve and I both loved doing in our single lives.  Needless to say, the biggest kid (Steve) was VERY excited about our new tent, and decided he just HAD to set it up in the backyard.  Next thing I knew, we were having a family backyard campout!  Steve got everything set-up in the back yard with the kids' "help".


Our new tent is HUGE (sleeps ten) and the kids had a blast running around inside of it before we moved any gear or bedding in.


After some stories and popcorn, it was time to sleep.   The tent can be separated into two compartments, so Steve and I had our own sleeping area.  It still gets pretty cold at night so we piled all the extra blankets on the kids... not thinking much about our own warm. Needless to say, the only person who didn't make it through the night was me.  I work up freezing and went in the house!


We have two (potentially three) more camping trips on the books, and after this backyard test drive we feel pretty confident that the kids will do great and enjoy the outdoor adventure.  Steve and I are both looking forward to sharing our love of the outdoors with the kids as they grow up!

No comments: